Phase 3 is the final phase of Portobello Square – the regeneration of the Wornington Green estate by Catalyst. The outline masterplan for the estate received planning permission in 2010.
- Up to 1000 new homes for social rent, shared ownership and private sale.
- No loss of social housing.
- New commercial spaces.
- Improved public realm.
- Providing an improved council owned community centre building, to replace the current building.
- Re-providing and improving the council-owned park, Athlone Gardens.
Work on Phase 1 is now complete and Phase 2 – which received planning permission in 2014 – is ongoing.
Combined, they will deliver 643 new homes – with over half for social rent – as well as new commercial space.
89 homes have now been delivered in Phase 2A. Work on Phase 2B is planned to start in the coming months.
Phase 3 – Overview
The proposals for Phase 3 will:
- Deliver up to 377 new homes, of which up to 213 will be for social rent, 157 for private sale and 7 for shared ownership. 20 more home than the outline application
- Create new public spaces and flexible commercial spaces
- Reprovide the Community Centre and adventure playground
- Reinstate the historical street pattern, a key part of the original masterplan, which will help people to find their way round the area more easily
- Include a space for the community kitchen garden